Thursday, December 22, 2011

3 Days Until Christmas!

Last night my family and I went to our church candle light service.  God says in Matthew 5:14-16 " You are the light of the world.  A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stand and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others so that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."  

That verse to me is so powerful. Last night when I was standing there holding my candle in the pure darkness, watching the screen pan out and show the whole congregation standing there holding their candles, it brought a tears to my eyes.  We as Christians have a tendency to hide our light under a bowl.  To avoid the awkwardness of the conversations about God and Christianity and the conflict between believers and nonbelievers.  This coming year I challenge myself and you to not hide your light.  To place it up for everyone to see.  

Coming into this new year take some serious time to think about what radiates off of you onto other people.  You might be surprised at what they see.  I am blind to that a lot of the times.  I like to think that how I feel about who I am, is how I am portrayed to other people, but that is not always the case.  

Once I was in a situation and my husband told me that I was not acting the way that Jesus would want to me react to the situation.  That I was not handling things in a very Christian manner.  When I was telling a friend of mine what was going on and what Joshua had said she said to me "Who is he to tell you that you aren't acting very Christian?, It's not like he is very Christian.  You all don't even go to church that much.".  Now, at the time we were in that no church rut but that is besides the point.  She had a totally different opinion on my husband than I do.  I see a good Christian man.  Someone who doesn't lie, steal or cheat.  Someone who has your best interest at heart.  Someone God would be proud of.  But to her, he is just another guy.  No one special.  So then I thought, "well if that's what she thinks about him, what does she think about me?". 

My goal this year is to change my outward appearance.  Not physical, spiritual.  Allow my light to shine bright for the whole world to see. 

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment