Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hashbrown Waffles Inspired by Rach!

So for all of you who do not watch or DVR The Rachel Ray Show, she does a "Waffle Week"  every once in awhile.  Last week was "Waffle Week" and she made hash brown waffles, Go HERE to see all of the waffles she made last week.  SO I decided to dust off my waffle maker and try to make my own version of hash brown waffles.  Man oh Man they were good.  Take a look.........

So I used freshly grated potatoes because I was out of frozen.  Next time I will use frozen because you can drain the liquid when you defrost them, where in a fresh potato it come out with time.  I also grated a small onion, Rachel says that in things like this a grated onion is better 1.  because you the juice from the onion which gives the dish more flavor and 2. they are in such tiny pieces you would never know they were even there.  
Then I added some chopped up green bell pepper.  Salt, pepper, 3 cloves of freshly grated garlic.  Gave it a big stir.  Filled the waffle iron just enough to where all of the hole were filled to the top of the notches.  My waffle iron needs to be traded in for a new one, so I had to flip and rotate my waffles to make sure they cooked evenly, but if you have a nice waffle iron they should be done in just one round.
Tada!!!!!  A hash brown waffle with melted cheese!  I melted the cheese with a little milk while my waffle was cooking and topped it off after I plated it!

Hash Brown Waffles

Ingredients:

4 Medium potatoes, or one pound per person freshly grated or 1 bag of frozen hash browns
1 small onion, freshly grated
1 bell pepper, finely diced
salt
pepper
3 cloves of garlic, freshly grated
2 Tbsp butter, melted
cheese, I used Velveta

1.  If you are using fresh potatoes, grate them in a large bowl.  If you are using frozen hash browns, they will need to be thawed and drained.  

2.  Grate a small onion into the same bowl as the hash browns.

3.  Add a finely diced  bell pepper and grate three gloves of garlic into the hash brown/onion mixture.

4.  Plug you waffle iron in to get it preheated.

5.  Add spices.  

6.  Mix well.  Once everything is mixed together and you iron is preheated, generously brush the grates with melted butter.

7.  Fill each grate until all the crevasse are full up to the notches.

8.  Close and let the waffle iron do its job.  When you iron is done if you see any inconsistency with your waffle flip and rotate the waffle for even cooking.

9.  Melt enough cheese for each waffle, probably around 1/4 of a cup.

10.  When the waffle is done, plate it and pour your cheese on top.

11.  Enjoy.




1 comment:

  1. These look delicious! We are big fans of our waffle iron and made cinnamon roll waffles this morning. I'm adding this variation to our list!

    ReplyDelete