Friday, January 4, 2013

Pan Seared Fillet Mignon

Pan Seared Fillet Mignon
Serving Size: 2 adult portions

I have had many steaks, cooked many different ways, but let me tell you that if you are looking for restaurant quality taste, pan seared is the way to go.  

Ingredients:
*2 6oz fillets 
*Olive oil, enough to just coat the bottom of a skillet
*1 Tbsp butter
*salt and pepper

There are two different versions of this recipe depending on how rare you like your meat. If you like it rare or medium rare then skip the first step.  If you like it medium, medium well or well done then start from the beginning.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  I used a stainless steel skillet that was oven safe also to reduce the amount of dishes.  Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Season steaks generously on both sides with salt and pepper.  The seasoning is what will create a crust on the meat, so please be more generous than usual.  Once the butter starts to foam add steaks. For a medium-rare steak you will cook each side for about 12 minutes.  Don't forget to brown the sides of the steak also.  Once all sides are cooked, for a steak that is more done, transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until the center is the desired color.  I like my steak medium-well, so I left my steak in the oven for another 20 minutes.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment